Smart sales people have been closing deals with written sales letters since the concept of commission was invented! In today’s day and age, hand written sales letters to all of your potential customers aren’t often feasible, but don’t worry, there are still some things you can do to connect with potential customers and increase your chance of selling your product or service. We are here today to tell you about the magic that is the video sales letter- all of the persuasive techniques of a written sales letter without the carpal tunnel.
Now, let’s get started…
The format of a video sales letter is not unlike that of an essay. You’ll need a headline, introduction, body and conclusion. Not too complicated, right? Now that you’ve got the concept down, write an outline. Having a detailed outline of the specific points you want to cover in your video will help keep you focused and ensure that you get your point across.
Whether you work better with an exact script or just a series of bullet points, make sure your video sales letter contains these crucial elements.
- Headline and sub-headline
Make sure that you are clear from the beginning about the purpose of your video. Keep your headline short and to the point and let your sub-headline communicate more detail about your headline’s claim.
- Introduction (Tell ‘em what you’re gonna to tell ‘em)
In the introduction of your video, it’s effective to follow the “problem, agitate, solve” method of sales. Meaning, this is the place to identify your audience’s pain point, stir up that pain then present a solution, YOUR solution.
- Body (Tell ‘em)
The body is the largest and arguably most important part of your video sales letter. Now is the time to show your audience how you can solve their problem!
- Help your audience imagine what their lives could be like if they bought into your idea (product, service etc.).
- List the specific benefits they will receive. Be very clear about what they will be receiving with their purchase.
- Give them proof that you’re the solution. Insert reviews from happy customers and/or explain how you’ve benefited from this solution.
- Give them a satisfaction guarantee. Make them feel confident in the decision they are about to make.
- Sweeten the deal if possible. Offer a discount to those watching the video.
- Drop the price bomb. This can often be the most awkward part of your video. Keep the language simple and direct. If you’ve done a good job communicating the benefits of their purchase, the price will be less of a hurdle for your audience.
- Conclusion (Tell ‘em what you told ‘em)
The conclusion of your video is the place to wrap up your sales pitch and introduce your call to action (CTA). The CTA determines what you’d like your audience to do after watching your video. If the CTA is to “buy now,” tell them how to do it! After all isn’t that the reason you created this video? It’s also helpful to introduce some urgency here. Convince your audience that they should purchase NOW and let them know why they shouldn’t wait.
If you feel so inclined, give them a little something extra. This is simply an opportunity to show your audience a little bit of your personality. Have fun with it and make it fun to watch. Show them that you are human too!
Video style tip:
If you’re unsure about how your video should look, don’t be!
The style of your video is completely up to you! Do what works best for you and your audience. If you think that a 2-minute video of you talking to the camera will resonate with your audience, do that! If you think that your voice over static images is the most compelling, go for it! Your confidence in the video will be your biggest selling point. People want to buy things from you, the expert!
For even more information on how to create an effective video sales letter, take a look at our recent webinar, “How to Create an Effective Video Sales Letter.” You can watch the interactive, on-demand version of the webinar here. If you’ve got questions while watching, interact with us as you would if we were live! Submit your questions and someone from our team will get back to you with an answer. How cool is that?!
Step into the world of video, folks. Start your video sales letter today!